43 killed in Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen

  • 43 killed in Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen

43 killed in Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen

He stressed that the Houthi leaders and terrorist elements responsible for firing ballistic missiles and targeting civilians will be targeted as part of the coalition efforts to prevent terrorist elements from harming regional and global security.

The Saudi government issued a statement on August 9 and described the strike as "a legitimate military action" and was "conducted in conformity with the global humanitarian law".

There was no immediate comment from the coalition, which is led by Saudi Arabia and which is fighting to restore Yemen's internationally recognized government to power.

Houthi media broadcast graphic footage appearing to show the dead bodies of children.

Qassemi further said the countries involved in acts of aggression against Yemeni people resort to such statements in an attempt to cover up their criminal acts and divert world public opinion from the realities on the ground in the war-ravaged country.

"Scores killed, even more injured, most under the age of 10", Johannes Bruwer, head of the delegation for the ICRC in Yemen, said earlier in a Twitter post.

Nearly 10,000 people - two-thirds of them civilians - have been killed and 55,000 others injured in the fighting, according to the United Nations.

Aid agency CARE International noted that Thursday's strike came a week after the Hodeida bombardment.

A TV station run by the rebel Houthi movement reports that it was hit by a Saudi-led coalition air strike.

"This is yet another example of the blatant violations of global humanitarian law that we have seen in Yemen over the past three years-from indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks on civilians, denial of access to humanitarian aid and the use of starvation as a weapon of war-it's the people of Yemen, not the warring parties, who are paying the ultimate price", said Sylvia Ghaly, director of advocacy in Yemen for Save the Children.

Turki al-Maliki said the kingdom's air defense had intercepted a ballistic missile fired by the Houthi rebels at a densely populated civilian area in Jizan, according to the Saudi Press Agency. He asserted that it evinces a "blatant disregard for rules of war when [a] bus carrying innocent school children is fair game for attack".

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the attack in a statement released by his spokesperson, saying he "expresses his deepest condolences to the families of the victims".

Saudi Arabia shot down a missile fired by the Houthis on Wednesday, with debris killing a Yemeni man and wounding 11 others, the coalition said.

Saudi Arabia says this was a legitimate military operation, targeting Yemeni rebels backed by Iran, its arch enemy.

The United States called on the Saudi-led coalition to launch an investigation into the events that unfolded in Yemen on Thursday.

The coalition said Wednesday's attack brought the tally of rebel missiles launched since 2015, the year it joined the Yemeni government's fight against the rebels, to 165.

Impoverished Yemen, on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, is now in the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with more than 22.2 million people in need of assistance.